Here is a true story from Australia. It is adapted for ESL learners at low intermediate level. You can listen, read or read and listen. You can also use it as a dictation – listen and write.
A woman had Alzheimer’s disease. She lived in Canberra, the capital of Australia. When she started to forget many things, her family decided it would be a good idea to move her to live near her son, in Port Douglas. Port Douglas is a pretty, seaside town in tropical Northern Queensland. It is a popular holiday destination for tourists. After a few weeks of living in an Aged Care facility, she went for a walk and disappeared. Her family searched everywhere for her and eventually decided to call the police. A search was started, and after some time, some of her belongings including her walking stick were found near a river. It is known for its crocodiles. Some human remains were also found, so her family is fairly sure she was taken by a crocodile. There are many crocodiles in th e North of Australia, and some are often seen where rivers meet the sea. This happened at the end of a popular beach called Four Mile Beach, which is just at the end of the main street of the town.
Now make 8 sentences about the story. You can only move one word in any direction – number 1 begins:- “A woman in Queensland went ________. The dashes below tell you how many words are in each sentence.
|1. A||3. She||for||walk||alone.||were||was||nearby.|
|4 Her||in||terrible||facility.||6. Her||walking||near||eaten|
|horrible||family||Queens-land||Aged Care||7. Her||a||unwell||human|
|surpris-ing||old||5. The||8. Her||family||she||taken||by|
- A _____________ _____ _________________ w_________ m_________________.
- She _______ ______________ _____ ____ _____________________ ________________.
- She ________ ___________ ____ ____________ a_____________.
- Her __________________ __________________________ e_________________.
- The _______________ ____________________ f____ ___________.
- Her _________________ w______________ __________________ n___________ ___ _______________.
- Her _______________ s_______________ ___________ f________________ _______________.
- Her __________________ ____________________ s______ ______________ ______________ b____ ___ _________________________.
Answers on Solutions page.